Friday, September 14, 2007

Launch: Los Angeles

Welcome to India Scott blog dot on my forehead dot com. The premise is this: A company is paying me to go to India to teach. More specifically, Hyderabad, India. Don't worry, I got all my necessary immunizations this afternoon. My arms hurt. 4 shots.

But let's not simplify and generalize, that's not what this blog is about. This blog is about the fact that I, as you know me, Scott, is being paid by a company - ThinkSmart - to go to India to teach their employees the fine art of closed captioning. Closed captioning in it's best form provides all the specific words and sound effects within a TV program or film, all the while communicating that information with perfect grammar and spelling and readibility. I must get these Indians to the gold standard - my standard.

That's it for now - I have to finish packing to get ready for my 30-hour flight. ThinkSmart has gone first class and booked me in a plush economy seat on Malaysia Airlines that leaves at 1:30 in the morning from LAX. From here I fly 14 hours to Taipei, Taiwan, before my connection to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia - 5 hours - and then I go directly to Hyderabad, India - just another 4 hours. Should be a great, fun flight. Including layovers, I'll arrive 2 days later than when I left Los Angeles.

This will be a life-changing experience for me - I'm not sure I'm ready for the impact the Hyderabadian culture will have on me. I'm sure I will assimilate and blend in seamlessly. I'll try and keep you posted with impressions and experiences as I go along.

-Scott

and
TAIPEI, TAIWAN